Naughty Letters to Ms. Mac

Countless noble souls (and many fluffy kittens) sacrificed their lives during the making of this blog. We think you will agree they were worth it.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Antipo Gets A New Religion

I’ve never really been much of a girlie girl for one main reason: I hate shopping. I especially hate shopping for shoes, because I can never find the ideal shoe. That it to say a shoe which possesses a heel and a toe and a cut and a colour and a style that I’m completely happy with. I always have to compromise on my original desires and invariably play it safe with plain styles (to match all clothes) and monochromatic designs in black, brown, beige or navy blue.

Today I desperately needed a new pair of sandals because my favourite three year old pair had given up the ghost and literally disintegrated before my eyes. I harboured a secret longing for something pretty and sparkly and totally frivolous, but shied away from those I thought I could not wear with all possible outfits. I had already treated my son to a new football goalkeeper’s jersey (with padded elbows, just like Fabien Barthez’!) and sports socks, and I was keeping an eye on the clock because I had only 15 minutes before rushing back to our village to pick up Pauline from school, so it was not a good time for browsing and making thoughtful footwear decisions.... I certainly didn’t want to choose on impulse and regret the decision later.

Almost in spite of myself, I was drawn to the loudest, sparkliest, most bead-encrusted, not to mention VULGAR, sandals on display. I knew they were just TFM - too fucking much - and I would simply never wear them. I kept turning my back on them and lovingly stroked a pair of black strappy sandals with discreet little pastel coloured beads glued in a bunch on the side. But those Arabian Nights style monstrosities were calling.

And suddenly, in a rash and incredibly provocative move, I dared myself to choose the tawdry, pink, glittering, Oriental harem-appropriate crazies, tried them on, and BOUGHT them!

Oh. My. God.

Fluffy Bunny is going to burst with pride when she sees just how sartorially brave I have become.

Are you ready?


Can you handle it?



Here it comes....







As we left the shop and ran for the car, my heart was literally beating faster with excitement. I was thinking ‘I’ll wear them with plain jeans or a black skirt and a plain white blouse so as not to detract one iota of attention from my feet’.

I think I finally understand Retail Therapy.

Of course I could be teetering on the brink of a slippery and steep slope here....

I also paid a flying visit to the cheap jewellery shop...







3 Comments:

  • At Sun Jun 25, 09:10:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh...I approve!! I approve!!

    Viva girlie girls!!!!

    I say, wear them with pride and you can wear them with clashing colours too. Be bold flower power!

    *I am evil when it comes to handbags, shoes and those mode accessories.... I need therapy... ooops where is that fluffy bunny???*

    Kisses, Me

     
  • At Tue Jun 27, 04:31:00 pm, Blogger Ms Mac said…

    Oh yes! I would have bought them too!!! Let's go shoe shopping together instead of all that cultural and edumacational crap you make me do when we're together!

     
  • At Wed Jun 28, 11:36:00 pm, Blogger Sarah said…

    luverlie shoosies, luverlie boosies in ze luverlie boozie halters, tue est une secret girlie girl et aussi trez humeoise, you makes i laugh anyway..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home